Friday, October 28, 2011

Catching up!

Waiting for Daddy 5x7 oil/linen

So, finally replaced the keyboard, but still waiting on the roofers to come and fix the leak.  Meanwhile, we have to keep the new keyboard off the desk in case the drips start again!
So, here's the next painting.  This was a fun experiment, but, lemme tell ya, it was NOT EASY!!!
First, working from a photograph is never really that good.. the colors and values are usually way off, but I wanted to try a difficult subject (and it doesn't get much harder than the portrait of a child) because the exercise was to only see pieces of color... no drawing, no trying to "paint a nose, or an eye, or a chin..".. I figured if I picked a hard subject, I'd be more likely to not slip into drawing mode. So, I just started by putting a few marks on the canvas to indicate where the top and bottom of the head would be, and started putting down pieces of color. I even blurred the photo on purpose so I'd see values and color, not details. It was a great exercise, and I'll do this again... to train my eyes to see value and color.. After all, we're not really painting "things" - we're painting  how the light affects things, and so if we can accurately judge value and color, we can paint any subject at all.....

2 comments:

Calin said...

Cool :)

ONe thing you can do with photos, to make it easier to work from them and avoid flat looking paintings, is put them in irfanview, make 3 variations of the photo (brighter/darker) and turn them into a slide show. This will be more like a live model than a photo ;)

Caroled said...

This is beautiful!!! I am amazed at your skill... if I get half way I will be very happy....