Tuesday, March 13, 2012

70. Miniature - Paint Foal

1.5 x 3.5 oil/panel

Yeah, this one is tiny. I found one more frame for miniatures and decided to paint this last one.  I could not, no matter what I did, get a decent photo of it... So, this'll have to do.   This one was hard, mainly because I just don't have the right size brushes to work t his small, and it is on one of the slippery panels....
Here's a size reference for you.

I found that working this tiny requires a different approach.. where I might like to put down thick paint, with looser brushstrokes, these miniatures pretty much call for a tighter approach and thinner paint.  This is the last one for a while I think!!

69. Old Copper Kettle

5x7 oil/panel

So.. i n keeping with my "getting back to the basics" idea of why I started this project and blog, I decided today to try to paint by laying down brushstrokes using careful observation of temperature and value and color, without doing alot of blending.  You can probably see this best in the copper pot and the stoneware jar.   This is still a little different for me, and doesn't come that easy. Additionally, I'm t hinking about edges, and the last thing I wanted to do was paint each petal of those sunflowers with sharp pointy edges, even if that's how they appear to be... 
This was one of those "slippery" panels again, only this time I lightly sanded it before painting.   This left a less desirable surface for some reason.... so not sure what the s olution is....