Tuesday, March 20, 2012

71. The Boatman

8x10 oil/panel

Here's something a little different!   I had this photo from somewhere.. it was a really bad, pixelly photo, so blurry that I couldn't even see the guy's eye at all.... had to make all that up, but for some reason, it still
really struck me as something I wanted to paint.  Love the red scarf... so I went for it... using this as an opportunity for quick painterly work, and broad brushstrokes... and some knifework for the background.  My photo doesn't show some of the knife work very clearly, but I was pleased with the overall effect.

And now I am officially out of my 8x10 panels for daily work, and will have to make more.  I have a sheet of masonite that  will need to be primed, marked and then cut into smaller pieces.. but it is so very cold today that I can't do it outside (and the fumes from the oil based primer are too noxious to do inside...)  Later this week it is supposed to return to spring weather, so hopefully I will be able to make some more.. Meanwhile, I have some linen pads of various sizes I can use....

No comments: