Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Journey Begins

1. Pansies and Creamer

This is my new blog to document my journey in trying 120 daily paintings. (well, okay, almost daily).

The idea for this came from fellow artist Larry Seiler, who states, "It takes 120 bad paintings before you start seeing good ones."  

I'd like to think that I've made a few decent paintings, but I recognized this year a real need for change- for growth.  I don't want to do the same ol' thing, make the same ol' mistakes, and produce the same ol' stuff. I want better.  In order for that to happen, something has to change. 
These 120 paintings will have a specific purpose. I'll be experimenting with brushwork, color, and maybe subject matter too. I will limit myself to an hour.  
Right now, I don't know exactly where this journey will take me. But isn't that the way it is? This is an adventure.  Adventures by definition don't have guarantees!  Come with me on the journey. If you are an artist who is tired of being in your rut, try this experiment. Do 120 paintings with me. Feel free to experiment, to push yourself in new areas.  Start a blog about it, and send me the link. I'll add it here.. Let's see what happens!  
Oh, a little bit about this first painting.  It's 5x7, oil on panel, and done in about 45 min. with one #6 bristle and a knife.  I tried NO BLENDING.  Put the paint down, and leave it.It's thicker paint than usual, and I'm also using a very limited palette. White, Ultramarine blue, alizarin crimson, cad yellow light, and cad red light, and transparent red oxide. I don't like working this small, so I'm going to find some inexpensive, larger surface to work on.  

Well, I'm on my way. Wanna come?


2 comments:

carol edan said...

bravo!!! I like your first painting... I also have made the commitment to myself and on my blogs... have started a new one for this purpose... haven't posted my first crayon sketch.... waiting for it to dry so I can scan it...I have lots of areas to work on --mainly COLOR HARMONY...
Good Luck

Olga said...

I think it;s lovely. Was browsing your collection yesterday, some wonderful pieces. May be we'll chat in a week:)