Friday, November 4, 2011

19. Ropers 1

Ropers 1     8x10 oil/panel

Boy, did I have fun with this one!  A friend posted some photos of a local Arizona rodeo he attended, and gave permission to use them for drawing or sketching.  I couldn't wait to start on this one, so actually did it last night late.  I am trying to re-use some old panels, so had scraped down an old 8x10 to use.  Because it is hard (for me) to paint with all the old painting showing through, I just tried to quick sketch the ropers into position and start filling in basic color shapes to cover up what was underneath.  Just was blocking in the basic light and shadow colors.  Once I got to this stage, I decided I liked the loose, rather choppy feel of it. I don't think I'll do much more finishing.. but there's a few details I still need to add, like the guy's rope about to catch the steer, and the fence rails in the back,... small things to add just enough detail to bring it into focus.
Technically, this was more than my allotted hour's work time, more like 2, but what the heck... it's all practice and I had an absolute blast just laying down color.  You can still see a little of the old color in the bottom corner, and around a few edges.. i think I'll leave it!
I called this, optomisically, Ropers 1, because there's a couple more shots I want to paint.  Look for more I hope!

1 comment:

Sandy Farley, Fine Artist said...

Outstanding -- I can feel your excitement!!