Wednesday, January 18, 2012

53.Mooo

8x10 oil/panel

I did sort of an experiment today. I started this painting and timed myself for 30 min. I wanted to see how much I could get done in that amount of time, and would continuing on improve it greatly.

  At 30 min. I probably could have stopped and had almost as good an effort as what the finish was.  It was just the finessing of edges, and a bit of the background stuff that wasn't done much.   I wish I had taken a photo at that stage, but was just having too much fun painting, so kept on going after taking quick stock of where I was.  

One reason 30 min. was enough time is partly due to the simplicity of the shapes in this painting... and partly due to the way I usually approach something like this.. That is to block in major shapes, put down an average color for shadow, and an average color for light.  Doing that gets the canvas covered, and from there it's just adjusting little colors and values along the way.

Well, it was an interesting little experiment. The funnest (is that a word?) part was getting the fur... soft fur and more chunky fur... all about edges on that...

2 comments:

Steve Pero said...

Easily one of your best in this series!

Judy P. said...

Yes, this is great, and you have a well-thought out pattern of geometry in this too!
Excuse me while I weep quietly at your 30 minute time; I just finished a lemon, and it took me over an hour (I'm not kidding, the colors kept confusing me, and then I kept losing the values!)